Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work as an independent contractor and my contract was

Customer Question
Hi - I work...

Hi - I work as an independent contractor and my contract was dated to end in Nov. My client fired the entire team without warning on friday. When I raised the question about the contract date - the employer brought everyone back except me and offered me 2 weeks pay. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I think

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When he offered the 2 weeks pay, was anything required to be signed by you to receive it? That is, some sort of waiver, etc... giving up any additional rights to the remainder of the contract? And there was no specific part of that contract that you originally signed that said that the employer could do this?

By the way, you may get a phone call offer. This is system generated, and I think we'll be just fine with the chat. Decline the offer if it comes up and we can continue in this chat function.

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?