Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Coworkers complained about my hearing loss and my not being…

Customer Question
Coworkers complained about my...

Coworkers complained about my hearing loss and my not being able to remember things I am on fmla seeing doctors for memory loss should I file complaint to state labor department

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

They bought me hearing ear muffs to hear better 2 years ago they do not work well was told by my boss 7 months ago I have selective hearing they know about my memory loss they ask me if I need to take leave which I am seeing doctors now

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

What is at will mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just depressed about it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The ADA protects against discrimination based on disability, but that is not the same thing as saying that employees cannot mention disabilities and any effect they may be having on your work performance. Those issues can absolutely be raised if they are causing workplace concerns.

If employees were just making fun of your disability, I could see filing a labor complaint. But on these facts, i'm not really convinced that you have a claim.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.