Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Okay so, today at work I was trying to buy some food after I…

Customer Question
Okay so , today...

Okay so , today at work I was trying to buy some food after I got done , I waited in line , my girlfriend works at the place I was trying to buy food from , so while I was in line she asked "hey you think I can get money to buy food later" I said sure an handed her a $20 , afterwards she gave me my food since she served me , so I go to the cashier An try to pay with debt , so what the cashier does is just give me a receipt , didn't swipe my card or anything , so I'm like okay I go on an get my things , so my overnight manager comes up to me ask to see my receipt

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I tell him I threw it away then asked if I paid I said no , he's like well you have to pay im like okay, my first intent was to pay anyway , so I go up to the cashier to pay she says "oh I thought you were allowed to get free food" I said no , so I paid no problem, I had a receipt an it shows on my bank statement that paid for the food , so the manger of the place says something about "theft" i told him up I paid ,

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Then a few hours later I get a text from my girlfriend saying theirs talk about me being fired or getting a write up for "stealing" an I am a full time employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All I want to know is if I do get a write up or fired can I fight this since clearly it's a misunderstand on my managers part for not getting the full story .

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, the problem here is that you are an "at will" employee. At will employees can be terminated at any time, with or without cause. When a cause is given, it doesn't have to be accurate. Now, while it is true that you didn't steal, the employer can still choose to terminate you for walking out of the store with items that you had not paid for, even though you later did.

In an "at will" situation, they don't have to prove theft or intent to steal. They don't have to prove anything. They can just fire you. At best, ***** ***** file for unemployment and get that.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer