Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I got terminated at my work for set up on my attendance

Customer Question
I got terminated at...

I got terminated at my work for set up on my attendance regarding to my medical appointments my employer gave me attendance points.according to my manager he put me off on the days im requesting for my medical leave i requested. after my 2 days leave i went back to work my manager told me i need to go home because of my attendance. i got suspended.then after 72hrs which is today they call me to go to HR for Termination. I think its is unfair review. to Terminate me, is there any chance you can help me to file a law suit for wrongful review and for unfair judgement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Las Vegas , NV

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

None Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im full time employee

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Have you filed your grievance with the union yet?

Did you qualify for and were you under Family and Medical Leave Act leave (FMLA)?

no not yet and filed my FMLA still waiting for there responce.
i dont have that much money to spend please help.

Thank you for your reply.

First off, you have to file your grievance with the union.

Under the law, the employer is not responsible for letting employees take off for medical appointments, so any such absences can be held against the employee UNLESS they have already been approved for leave under FMLA. If you had not been approved for FMLA, you are expected to make your doctor appointments on your own time and not the employer's time, since the employer has a legal right to expect an employee to be at work.

So, it is legal for an employer, as long as your contract does not say otherwise, to punish an employee for missing work even for doctors appointments unless the employee already had FMLA approved to use for those appointments.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

My manager approved it and gave ma the days off. I think it's a set up .

If the manager gave you days off and authorized it, then this is grounds for your grievance with the union. Under the union labor laws, the union is the only entity that can dispute management decisions, so you must file your grievance within the time specified in your contract and if you miss that time by even 1 day you would have no other recourse.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney