Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Am I required to pay money back to a company that I used to…

Customer Question
Am I required to...

Am I required to pay money back to a company that I used to work for that was due to an accounting error (change in payroll) 2 months after the company laid me off?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was an at will employment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that that is it in a nutshell

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 9 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Unfortunately, you are required to pay that back to them even though it was there in error that caused the overpayment. Legally speaking, if you kept the money they could sue you for unlawful conversion of funds, which basically means you were first rightfully given the funds but once both parties realize it was a matter of error you had a duty to return the funds to them. In most cases employers will allow these to be paid back through payment plans and without any penalty, which they're not owed any penalty under law in any event.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.