Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What are my rights when it comes to an employer losing my I9…

Customer Question
What are my rights...

What are my rights when it comes to an employer losing my I9 form? I told them I was concerned and requested something in writing for my personal records (which they denied). I then drafted a document that summarized our emails and stated my I9 had been misplaced and requested they sign it. They told me their attorneys instructed them not to sign anything and they wouldn't draft me a document stating what occurred.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

What is the purpose of a written admission that they lost the I9 if they do not dispute the loss? If it were a litigated issue, they could either produce it or admit it is misplaced. There is no other response.

They admitted it was misplaced and want another I9 to be filled out

Thank you for the additional information.

Fill it out and note at the top that it is a replacement for the original which was lost. Also, the date you sign it would also, circumstantially, indicate it was signed after your employment.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question satisfactorily?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!