Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recently informed I no longer had a job by my employer…

Customer Question
I was recently informed...

I was recently informed I no longer had a job by my employer while I was of work with a doctor's note resulting from a dog bite on the job. I work in BHC az at risen star dog kennel . Past employees have been bitten at this employer and they have been fired . I asked for a letter of termination stating why I was being terminated and she said I could work two more weeks or today would be my last day. This employed has no injury procedure , has told other people don't go to the emergency they will just laugh at you . My hand was severely swollen form a cat bite this time. About a month ago I was bitten by a large dog .I wen tot the er and got treatment the following day. I know there is such a thing as worker comp and I don't think they follow this law. I believe I have grounds for wrongful termination. I have not picked up a final check I have requested a letter explaining why I was discharged . I am a good employee I work hard under hazardous conditions this is my second bite in11 months .

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in Bullhead city Arizona .

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

The employment is "at Will" and part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just a minute please The animals at this kennel are not treated safely, I have filled a complaint with OSHA over several safety hazards with no response as of yet .

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you were injured.

Your employer is in a violation of state worker's compensation laws, which require employers to provide insurance for on the job injuries. Not only can an employer not fire everyone who gets injured at work, but they're required to pay your wages for missed work and pay your medical bills. You have 30 days to file a report with the state industrial commission. They can investigate. If they find that your employer was supposed to provide insurance and didn't, they can file a lawsuit on your behalf for lost wages. They can also fine your company for breaking the law.

Their contact information is here. You'll want to call or email before filing a claim, because those forms are to report the injury, whereas you're reporting a violation of the laws requiring them to provide insurance.

https://www.azica.gov/claims-filing-claim

If you do wind up in court, your injury is considered proof if their negligence. They'll have the burden of proving that they're not at fault, which can be difficult. They could be subject to civil penalties, fines, and even jail on top of having to pay you, and they can be required to pay the state's attorney's fees for bringing your case.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.