Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My son was driving his company van parked to do some

My son was driving...

My son was driving his company van parked to do some concrete cutting an got a parking ticket. His employer deducted the cost of ticket from his pay and his partners pay this was during company time and they do not get reimbursed if they have top pay meters also there is no polcity that they have signed regarding parking tickets incurred while oin the job

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Opps sorry California Bay Area

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time employment. I believe at will not sure he was never given any employee handbook or anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I can assist?

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

is it illegal for his employer to deduct the cost of the ticket from his paycheck and shouldn the employer be responsible for paying the fine? SDince this was during company time.

The employer is only allowed to deduct the amount of the ticket from his salary if he has signed a document allowing them to do so. Many companies have this type of document contained in the employee's initial paperwork. If they withhold the amount without a written agreement then they are violating the law and his recourse is to report the matter to the department of labor.

However, it is neither required nor normal for a company to be responsible for any tickets received by their employees while on the job.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

o.k. i can understand that if it was a speeding ticket then that would be the employees responsibility. But since there is no written policy or any documentation signed whet his employer did was unlawful and should they be responsible for the parking ticket since they never stated any policy or regulation regarding parking violations? Also note they do not get reimbursed when they have to pay for parking while on the job

Legally and conceptually there is no difference between getting a ticket for speeding or getting a ticket for a parking violation. The only way the employer would be liable is if they had somehow agreed they would be liable.

As far as legalities, if the employee never signed an agreement allowing them to withhold funds directly from his check then they are not allowed to do so.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
o.k. Thank You very much for your information. Very helpful!!

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer