Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm in RI and am trying to find out if a Union is required…

Customer Question
I'm in RI and...

I'm in RI and am trying to find out if a Union is required to hire non union workers by seniority

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Sorry but I don't understand the question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Can you explain this a bit clearer? What do you mean a union hiring non-union workers by seniority? Please give us a little more information about your question and situation?

When the Union needs to hire "per diem" or as they are called in this case"dollar a days", are they supposed to go by seniority or can they hire anyone regardless of length of service?

Thank you for your clarification.

There is no RI Gen. Law governing this issue, it would have to be based in the labor contract that the union is operating under. If there is nothing in the union contract or even in the union bylaws, there is no RI law mandating hiring based on a seniority basis.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney