Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am pharmacist with Walgreens. I have been with them since…

Customer Question
I am pharmacist...

I am pharmacist with Walgreens. I have been with them since my graduation in 1982. I did move to Japan twice in my career as the accompanying spouse of a Caterpillar engineer. I have been back in the USA since 2006 and have been employed full-time since then. Two weeks ago I was told, with no warning, that I was being replaced in my full-time staff position. I am being made a floater pharmacist and only being promised 32 hours a week. The staff position is 40 hours per week. I have been given no documentation as to why I am being relieved of my staff position. I am a 57 year old white female. They are replacing me with a 30 year old white male. I have asked for contact names and number and emails so that I can contact who is responsible for this decision. I have been given nothing. The pharmacy manager of my store and the store manager did not know this was going to happen. The district manager will not give me a straight answer. I have gone one step about him to the regional manager, but he won't answer my calls. When the district manager told me of this change 2 weeks ago, I asked him if I would still get 40 hours. He nodded and said yes, 40 hours. I received an email from him an hour later stating it would only be 32 hours. I don't know what to do. Do I need to hire a lawyer to get to the bottom of this? I want my position back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Generally, employers are allowed to make changes to people's pay, schedules, and hours without any justification so long as it is not a discriminatory reason. On the other hand, state and federal law prohibits an employer from making some sort of adverse employment action against a person on the basis of their gender, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation,age, national origin, or disability. In your case, if you ever reason to believe that you may have been discriminated against on the basis of your age or race, then you may want to consider filing an EEOC complaint. It is possible that a company vent is the size of Walgreens has in EEOC coordinator with whom that you can communicate to explain your concerns and they can conduct an investigation to find out if this is the case. You may also bring a separate lawsuit or try to mediate this matter on your own. Otherwise, the employer would be allowed to take this action even if it harms you. If for some reason this is a violation of your contract, then this is something that you may want to consider as well. If they had to get your approval or if they could only reduce your hours for some reason stated in your contract, then they need to abide by that. If they do not, then this could be a breach of contract and you could be entitled to damages as a result.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

I just did more reading on the Walgreens website and found out that Walgreens is an "at will" employer. What does that mean for my situation?

“At-will” employment simply means that an employer can make changes to your employment status, including pay, termination, promotion, and demotion, whenever they want for any reason or no reason at all, so long as it is not discriminatory. For you, this means that they may have the right to do so. What could be your saving grace is if you can point to a discriminatory reason for them doing this or if you could point to something in your employment agreement with them that prohibits them from doing this. What other questions did you have for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer