Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from a restaurant after working a salaried

Customer Question
I was fired from...

I was fired from a restaurant after working a salaried position for over 1 year no contract but im wondering if im owed vacation pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

NY is an at will state. but i had no contract for my job

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have given paid week vacations after 1 year to other managers

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Whether an employer must pay for unused time depends upon the terms of the vacation and/or resignation policy. New York courts have held that an agreement to give benefits or wage supplements, like vacation, can specify that employees lose accrued benefits under certain conditions. [See Glenville Gage Company, Inc. v. Industrial Board of Appeals of the State of New York, Department of Labor, 70 AD2d 283 (3d Dept 1979) affd, 52 NY2d 777 (1980).] To be valid, the employer must have told employees, in writing, of the conditions that nullify the benefit.

If an employee has earned vacation time, and IF there is no written forfeit policy, The employer must pay the employee for the accrued vacation. If there's a written forfeit policy, then no accrued vacation would be owed.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!