Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

11 Lawyers are online now. Type your question here...

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Can you tell me what your question is?

My mother passed away leaving her house, but it has been all 4 of us children's name since 1988. She has the money that we've been paying the expenses utilities taxes insurance etc. but now the moneys gone and we are going to have to start paying each a share to keep the house going. My eldest sister is going to handle the checking we each need to pay $61 a month to keep this house going. My brother wants to sell this house $20,000 cheaper just to get it out rid of it. Or we pay him $10,000 and we pay the expenses he wants to be bought out. We are only asking 64,000. But he does not want to pay anything towards maintenance are keeping the house up he just wants $10,000 and we pay the expenses. We just listed it with a realtor two months ago but my question is if he doesn't pay anything towards maintenance can we take his money he should be paying off the top of what we get from selling the house to be fair

Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

It would be fair, yes, but also note that he's a coowner of the property, and his name would be needed to transfer the property to any buyer. That's generally part of a "settlement" (what it's called at closing) that shows who gets what after all is said and done. So while legally you could seek necessary maintenance if you were to sue him (which might be an option after closing, and assuming that you don't waive any rights against him) if you hold out for him to do so prior to the closing that's going to be likely something he uses to refuse to sign to sell the house.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!