Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am interersted in speaking to someone regarding workplace…

Customer Question
Hi, I am interersted...

Hi, I am interersted in speaking to someone regarding workplace bullying laws

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes I have

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Oklahoma is an at will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have recordings and documents regarding my concerns that support workplace bullying.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is this being done to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

Please explain and what are your questions?

It's not based on any of those factors. I know the company has set a target of consolidating resources. Several tenure people have been laid off.I feel I am being targeted for the next set of employees because of my tenure. As briefly as I can explain. I've been trained to handle cases as an investigator. For the past four years I have never been wrote up and never failed QA. I have performed my job the same way. The company is wanting to hit specific numbers in an unethical way. The management team has provided vague instructions and I am being held accountable.
This has been very stressful and frustrating that it's affected my health. My doctor has prescribed me with medication for stress and anxiety

Thank you for your reply.

I asked that question because under the law, there are no laws protecting employees from ordinary workplace bullying. The US Supreme Court has stated the laws on hostile work environment/workplace harassment were enacted to protect employees from conduct solely based on their age/race/sex/disability/national origin, and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998).

Thus, unless the conduct towards you is for one of those reasons, you do not have legal cause of action. Yes, ordinary workplace bullying is a problem in the workplace, but legally there are no laws protecting employees from such conduct. Employment in the US is deemed to be at will, absent some written contract to the contrary, which means that the employer has control over the employees and this type of ordinary bullying is up to the employer to control in the workplace, it is not subject to legal action because the laws do not provide for any type of legal actions based on this type of conduct.

If people are making known false claims against you that cause you to lose your employment, THEN you can sue the individuals personally who made these known false claims for defamation and seek money damages from them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.