Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Employee law requires retention of some records as as 50…

Customer Question
Employee law requires retention...

Employee law requires retention of some records as long as 50 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes. But they say only the dates of employment is preserved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, about 10 years, 1970 to 1980. They say only the dates of employment is required. Is this so?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what is the law in Savannah, Ga?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

The only records required to be kept for decades (30 yrs beyond termination of employment) are OSHA records.

Otherwise, the federal guidelines can be found at the following link:

EMPLOYEE RECORD RETENTION

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.