Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How can an employee recover withheld wages from an employer…

Customer Question
How can an employee...

How can an employee recover withheld wages from an employer who requires a personal credit card into which wages are deposited? Employee does not have a card and cannot qualify for one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Ull time at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Person in question and her mother are starving; have not eaten for a week.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Employer cannot impose such a condition to get paid. If employer won't issue a check then employee may threaten legal action and complaint to the labor board. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Employer should reconsider. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!