Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I received word monday that our office is moving to a local…

Customer Question
Hello, I received word...

Hello, I received word monday that our office is moving to a local hospital and won't need my services ( X-ray Tech) I hurt myself on the job a few years ago lifting a patient ,,groin injury) and have hadproblems ever since. I don't complain am a pretty tough gal but want to know my rights. I have worked at this office for 12years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

20 hours I receive benefits .health ins dental pay into long and short term disability

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Unless you have a written contract guaranteeing you employment for a certain period of time, you would be at will, which means the employer has a right to terminate your employment for any reason or for no reason at all SO LONG AS it is not discriminatory based on race, sex, age, disability or religion. Thus, if the termination is due to the move and downsizing, etc., there's likely no recourse.

I am only interested in my injury. I understand that there is no recourse for downsizing ect. I work with this rt groin pain . It was a work injury lifting a 250lb patient onto the table. wouldn't I qualify for some type of disability. I don;t want to take advantage of the system but I never have.....always worked hard, but I wouldn't I be able to work in a hospital for e.g. pushing stretchers ect. now .....I have lifted and moved patients for years.

However, in regard to your injury, you may be able to file a worker's compensation claim.....but you should consult a lawyer soon because there are time limits on filing, and the longer you wait, the more suspect a claim is.

Got it!!!!..... Should have done it earlier.....Thats what I get for being a strong working gal.......Bad timing!!
ACTUALLY WE DID file a workers comp claim

If you filed a claim, that is the only relief you can seek.....worker's comp is the exclusive remedy for a person injured on the job.

are you still there I thought I had 5 questions
oh just came through ok thx
have a good day

I'm still here.

If you need anything further, please let me know.

Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

oh ok just saw this.....
I'm just not sure how it would all play out considering that now I am laid off starting 9-29 with a workers comp injury. I also don't think I should sign the severance pkg that severs all ties from the hospital . My salary comes from a major hospital , I work offsite.

It's probably in your best interest to file the comp claim before you are laid off. You have time to do that, but there's no time to waste.

Roger, Lawyer