Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question can my immediate supervisor send me a

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question can my immediate supervisor send me a threatening text knowing that it's going to make me react and anything that I say or do after that I cannot be held against me i'm home on my couch out of work and I was text at 8:30 PM Wednesday evening

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

State of Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I did not lose my job but I like it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

For the past two or three weeks he has not fully abuse me but knows the right buttons to push in the right thing to say

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Many times in employment law situations the law is not in favor of the employee. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

I'd like to receive an answer

Connecticut is an at-will employment state which essentially means there are no limits on what an employer can do or say to an employee so long as it is not based on an employees age, gender, race, etc.

What that means, unfortunately, is that employer can say and do things which they know are offensive without any fear of retribution from the employee. Of course that doesn't mean they can physically attack an employee but they are only prohibited from actions which are specifically prohibited from statute and your facts do not indicate any statutes were violated.

you mean they can contact me via text message on my time off or day off at 8:30 PM and say things that are offensive and job threatening and get away with it

Essentially yes. If you are not on salary then responding to email, texts, etc., from your employer would be considered work time and they would have to pay you for it. But they can certainly text or call you at any time. Again, there is no law that says they can't be offensive other than the laws prohibiting your membership of you being in a specific class discussed above. Also, as I indicated earlier, they can't threaten your life, or other violations of the criminal statutes but as far as them contacting you and being rude, obnoxious, threatening your job, or in general being an ass, the law allows that.

I wish I had better news for you but the simple fact is that only one state, Montana, has laws that favors employees and California is slightly better than the remaining states but only slightly. Also note, this is different if you have a written contract for employment which specifically states that they can't take certain actions.

If they continue to contact you or have done quite a few time in the past then you can file a complaint with the department of labor for them not paying you for that time although I realize that is not much compensation for what they are doing.

Ok thank you

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to issue a 5-star positive rating so I can get credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.