Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A employee took a picture of me sleeping without me knowing…

Customer Question
A employee took a...

A employee took a picture of me sleeping without me knowing can I file a lawsuit for the company

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I work for the state of maryland I am a correctional officer

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I have w union and I am full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person that took the pic wasn't a supervisor

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Were you on the job at the time the picture was taken?

Where were you located when the picture was taken (example: office, cafeteria, locker room, etc)?

I was on the job sitting down and the picture was taken in a rec area
They took the pic and sent it to a supervisor and I had to write a report because they said I was unattentive

Under those facts, taking the picture was not illegal nor an invasion of your privacy. The courts have long held that a picture taken in an area where there is no expectation of privacy is not actionable. So, for instance, taking a picture in a recreational area where other people come and go is not illegal whereas if they had taken a picture in a bathroom stall, locker room, etc. the it would likely be found to be actionable by court since you have an expectation of privacy in those areas.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.