Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been placed on suspension pending investigation, I…

Customer Question
I have been placed...

I have been placed on suspension pending investigation, I was told that there were serious allegations of creating a hostile work environment on my behalf

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time employee of 13 yrs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Non union

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

What is your legal question, my friend?

I have been notified that I am placed on suspension based on the fact that there were some serious allegations that I was creating a hostile work environment. I am to have a meeting with the director of operations and representative from HR this morning 10 AM .I am the bar supervisor at a local gaming bar I have been working for the company for 13 years

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

No...
That is all I know at this time

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.

When you meet, do not sign anything they put in front of you. Rather, tell them your attorney has to review it and you will get back to them in a few days.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!