Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm in CA my workman comp claim just settled for a knee

Customer Question
I'm in CA my workman comp...
I'm in CA
my workman comp claim just settled for a knee injury.
I was forced to resign
Now i want to move forward with the civil claim for harassment.
i retained an attorney but do I need to mention about my previous settlement from workman comp ? I hesitated to say and the lawyer didnt ask. can you please tell if that is relevant. thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago

The worst thing you can do for an attorney representing you is hiding information from them. Even if you believe it is not relevant, you should still share the information with your attorney.

There are several reasons for this:

• Attorney-Client Privilege ensures that outside of rare instances (this is not one of them) anything that you say to your attorney is confidential and will be kept between you and your attorney. Therefore, you do not have to fear that the information will be disclosed to a third-party.
  • The Strategy that your attorney will employ in the case can be complex for someone not experienced in legal matters to understand. Even though you believe something is not relevant to the case, the attorney may find a use for the information.
  • You do not want your attorney Blindsided during the course of your representation. Even though you might have information that may hurt your case, the only way your attorney can prepare to defend against this information, is if they know about it.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

I was worried they won't take my case, is that possible ? also does it after that I have the previous attorney and now them? does that make them think my case weaker or not worth it ?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 9 months ago

Different attorneys have different mentalities. You really want an attorney that will represent your case to the best of their ability, regardless of the circumstances. If you provide that information and the attorney does not wish to represent you, that speaks to their character not your case.