Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I posted on Facebook that suicide hotline was a joke and…

Customer Question
I posted on Facebook that...
I posted on Facebook that suicide hotline was a joke and don't bother yesterday. I came into work today I was running 1/2 late never been late beforeand they sent me home telling me to take time off when I ask when I can return they told me they will let me know
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Can they legally do this, I am in Illinois and at will Employeed, but I feel discriminated against

I understand. Could you help me understand why you feel they discriminated against you?

Can they keep me from getting unemployment
They said because of my post I am mentally unstable

I understand. If that is the case, then it is probable you were discriminated against. Generally, an employer cannot discriminate against an individual under 29 USC 2000e-2, which defines that discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic is illegal. Disability is a protected characteristic, whether that disability is mental or physical. Thus, if you feel as if that was a determining factor as to why they terminated you, then yes, you would be able to go after them and no, it is not legal.

As far as unemployment is concerned, they might be able to stop you from getting unemployment, but only if they can prove to the state that it was a non-discriminatory reason you were terminated and can also prove you were terminated for 'gross misconduct." If they cannot prove it, then the state will provide you with unemployment benefits while you look for a job.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer