Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work two full time jobs for the State of CA, as a

Customer Question
I work two full...

I work two full time jobs for the State of CA, as a psychologist at one facility, and as an instructor at a university. The university is saying I'm not allowed to work more than 125% of a full time job total for CA so they're cutting my classes. And significantly cutting my income. The policies I've read on the 125% limitation do not appear to pertain to my situation, it only applies to employees within one department not across two departments of CA. I've seen no law or regulation justifying their decrease in my jobs. I want to work & so does the university, but says they are ordered by the State controller to do so. Is there a law/reg limiting my full time empployment? I can't find it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Both of my jobs are part of unions, CFA and AFSCME.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a California licensed attorney admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Are you employed by Cal State University system?

in CSU

OK, just a moment while I type up my response, it may be a few moments...

Ok, I can see the confusion. How I interpret this is that the CSU system won't allow you to work beyond 125% of your time-base, which is not clearly defined, but appears to be what you're ordinarily paid per hour. However, this is based only within the CSU system. Basically, they will limit how much you can make through the CSU system to 125% of your time-base. There's no limitation on outside employment, but they say that your outside employment is counted toward your 125%. I don't see a prohibition against outside employment generally.

Thanks. That is how I read it too. If I need to hire a lawyer to sue can you do it, is there phone number to call?

I'm available for hire if necessary. To exchange info, we'd have to enter into a "premium service" for an additional $5 so I could send you my email address and you can communicate with me.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer