Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer has placed up cameras with no notice or policy.

Customer Question
My employer has placed...

My employer has placed up cameras with no notice or policy. He is actually watching live streams of the plant from his personal phone and then texting and calling people about a job performance. He is also has audio even though it isn't always clear. I live in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you.

I have reviewed the statutes and could not find any prohibition against video/camera monitoring of employees. Typically an employer will post the policy but since the tort, intrustion on seclusion, is only applicable to places where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy (ie restrooms) an employer is free to record occurrences in the general work area.

The National Labor Relations Act does prohibit the monitoring of union activities (ie meetings).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

What about the audio portion? Also, the live video feed to his personal cell phone. The company is ISO certified.

While the Electronic Surveillance Act prohibits recording conversation, video itself is not prohibited if it is in a general area where one does not have a "reasonable" expectation of privacy.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: