Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I believe I'm being discriminated against in the workplace,

Customer Question
I believe I'm being...

I believe I'm being discriminated against in the workplace

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time at will

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
I am working for a company in California hourly and full time. They hired me on in June and told me that they were looking for someone to grow into a management position over time. I moved out of an inexpensive Dallas, TX and increased my liabilities by moving to Orange, CA. After working there for 3 months, I found out they just used me to teach an offshore Indian employee how to code. The offshore Indian employee is not even close to being qualified for the job and I have proof to show that. I have met every single expectation and exceeded them in most cases. Every high ranking employee in the company is all a family member of the CEO and they all have the same last name and are of Indian descent.I am an iOS Developer US Citizen and the other Indian iOS Developer offshore is the only other employee working on the same stuff as me. There is a Project Manager there that completely agrees with me that I am way more competent for the role. Can I sue them for Discrimination?
If I get fired, and the Indian Developer that has no idea what they are doing is kept...
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that it seems you have been used by this company.

Unfortunately, what you are describing is not likely considered a claim for discrimination. However, you may still file a claim with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing by clicking here or with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission by clicking here and they will investigate the matter and see if there is a valid claim.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.