Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a friend that has been falsely accused of harassment.

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that has been falsely accused of sexual harassment. The claimant and the a used were both texting one another and sending pictures to one another for 3 days during while off of work for 3 days. It was mutual . On the 3rd day to claiming stated she was uncomfortable bc the accused was in a relationship. The accused stated he understood completely and agreed and assured her it would remain professional moving forward. Upon returning to work after the hurricane he was called into the office and suspended based on her messages she showed the officials. The problem is she deleted most of her messages and made appear as a one sided conversation. The accused deleted the messages as he is in a relationship. He has hired a forensic analysis company to pull the data however the officials have already finished their investigation without giving him the opportunity to provide his evidence. It is donkey based on incomplete inaccurate information. What are his options should he be terminated in the meeting tomorrow?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas he works in education

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltime at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that pretty much sums up the situation

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 4 days by:
9/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The issue with at will employment is the employer needs no reason to terminate an employee and can terminate for any reason except based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and your only recourse is unemployment.

However, if you uncover the other text messages, it is possible to sue the employer for doing an incomplete investigation, which would be negligence and grounds to make the employer liable for their negligent investigation. Furthermore, since the accuser lied knowingly and misrepresented what happened and deleted the truth that the situation was mutual, you can personally sue the accuser for defamation for making a false complaint against you and seek money damages against her for your lost wages/employment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.