Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer layoff an employee while the employee is on…

Customer Question
Can an employer layoff...

Can an employer layoff an employee while the employee is on Disability?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will part time

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Under the FMLA and CFRA, an employee cannot be fired simply because he or she is on medical leave. When determining if an employee was wrongfully terminated, the reason the employee was fired is the most important aspect to look at, not necessarily the timing.

The law allows employees to take time off for medical reasons. An employer cannot terminate an employee because he or she has an illness or medical condition, or because the employee is on medical leave.

Nonetheless, if there is another reason for the termination, separate from the medical leave or medical condition, that action is not protected by the FMLA and CFRA.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!