Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I currently have fmla through my job. It was approved back…

Customer Question
Hello. I currently have...

Hello. I currently have fmla through my job. It was approved back in June. They sent me for a second opinion and now are trying to change my regular doctor for my fmla. Is it legal for them to be able to change my doctor

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes this doctor they are trying to force my new fmla under is not my regular doctor, is over an hour away from where I live and doesn't take my insurance. So they are trying to force me to deal with a doctor I can't afford when I already have a regular doctor and this was just supposed to be for a second opinion

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

Your employer may require a second opinion for certification purposes. The second opinion must be from a physician that the employer does not regularly use. If the second opinion differs from the original opinion, the employer may request a third opinion. The second and third opinions are at the cost of the employer.

However, the employer may not require that you change your primary care physician. They have no legal standing for this request.

Please click here for additional information on certification.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi