Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work outside at a semi-private golf course at the resort…

Customer Question
I work outside at...

I work outside at a semi-private golf course at the resort in Destin, Fl. On August 28, 2017 two dogs appeared at the bag drop area where I work. They had no collars or dog tags for identification. Gave them some water to drink because it was hot that day and had a member who was leaving to notify gate security that we had two unidentifiable dogs in our location. After a brief stay the dogs wandered back off toward the direction where they came from.Shortly after the dogs left, Resort Security arrived with a woman with them who got out of the car wanting to know where her dogs were. I informed her they had wandered off back in the direction from where they came. She told me and others in the area we should have detained the dogs and we were not providing good guest services. This woman was not happy and abusive. I informed her the reason we did detain the dogs was because they had no identification or collars on them which would tell us if they were vaccinated and free of rabies. She proceeded to tell us we were not doing our jobs for guest services.
I told her she should not have let them get out.Then she became really abusive telling me I did not know who I was dealing with. She wanted my name.
As it turns out she was the Owner of the Resort, Tom Bechnel’s daughter. About an hour later I was told by my immediate supervisor to punch-out and go home for the rest of the day. This was around 4:30 PM. He also asked if I could come to Human Resources the next day at 2:00PM for a meeting to tell my side of the story.On Tuesday, Aug 29 at 2:00 pm arrived at HR for the meeting. Here’s what took place:
Bechnel’s daughter had told HR to fire me because she did like my attitude and how she was treated during the incident involving her dogs. Her failure to maintain and keep her dogs in her possession had cost me my job.
HR informs me that I had two other incidents with guest plus her displeasure was enough to terminate me which was totally false. Never had a bad review or any incidents written up in my 2.5 years of service.Need your HELP!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time, did you see my write-up?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Michael Bradley

I am assuming that you did not have a contract?

correct
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago

unfortunately you are an at will employee

they can let you go without reason

that does not mean that you can not file for unemployment

you could look into filing for wrongful termination but there is no guarantee for sucess

I can send you a list of attorneys in your area