Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am faced with a legal and ethical dilemma in my workplace.

Customer Question
Good morning. I am...

Good morning. I am faced with a legal and ethical dilemma in my workplace. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, my company attempted to defraud a customer to the tune of $29,512.00. How do I report it and is this knowledge grounds for quitting with cause? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I did document, and discussed with HR and Finance. The response was that all of my access to financial information was stripped by my management.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time. I'm a senior construction manager (was a department head prior to the complaint, that was one result of the complaint was that I was demoted). I don't care about the demotion, i do not want to be associated with a company that lacks ethics.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am, that's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They demoted you because you reported the fraud? You say they attempted to defraud, did they actually defraud the customer?

they actually did. The customer referred it to the lease holder and the lease holder paid the entire invoice accepting the quote as accurate.
That wasn't the reason cited for the demotion and stripping of access (no reason was cited), however, these events occurred less than 48 hours after I reported this.

Thank you for your reply.

First thing is you need to report it to the customer and the tenant. You can send them the information anonymously in writing. Second thing you need to do is report it to the contractor licensing board and the attorney general's office and provide them the evidence. Finally, if they retaliated against you for reporting fraudulent conduct, then you have a right to sue the employer for the loss of money and emotional distress you suffered as a result of their retaliation against you for reporting the fraudulent conduct.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.