Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was looking for help with a question? In Massachusetts if

Customer Question
good morning , I was...
good morning , I was looking for help with a question ? In Massachusetts if we have an exempt employee on salary in the customer service field who is required to be in the office and we have an employee handbook that states only 3 sick days and two personal days will be paid per calendar year , can we deduct from her salary pay if she is above the 5 days . The employee calls in all the time and we paid her and additional 7 paid days but she keeps calling in and we want to deduct from her salary for being out ? can we ?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You can deduct full days missed, but no partial days. If she works any portion of a day, you have to pay her the entire day. Now if she has any paid time off, sick time, vacation, etc... you can require that she dip into that to pay the portion that she missed on partial days. You can also deduct it from future vacation, sick time, PTO, but not wages. Otherwise, if she works any portion of a day, you have to pay her for that entire day. If she misses a full day or multiple full days, you can deduct the pay for that day(s).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (over 40 minutes now) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer