How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4187
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with my employer for two years. The position I

Customer Question

hello -I have been with my employer for two years. The position I thought I was applying for is far different than the job I am doing. I would like to ask my employer for a mutual separation. Should I contact HR for this request or my manager? THank you!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I would like to separate on positive terms as my husband Is employed with same organization (different division)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You should start with your manager. The first thing that you want to do is prepare a letter of resignation.

Make sure that your letter is written with a positive tone and is as complimentary as possible to the company.

You do not want to get into anything that can be construed as a complaint against the company or your manager.

The best tone is something like:

"I have enjoyed working here and I have apprecuiated the opportunity to learn and grow under your direction. I think that the xyz company is a fine organization and I am proud of my association with it.

It is with some sadness that I have determined that it is time for me to depart the company and seek other opportunities.

I sincerely ***** ***** support I have received......."

Letters like this are helpful because you will be looking for letters of reference. If you can keep the door open to you that is best for you and your leaving in this way will not affect your husband.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,