Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

PA unemployment benefits. I was promised recall to my job,

was awaiting unemployment benefits, they...
PA unemployment benefits. I was promised recall to my job, was awaiting unemployment benefits, they told me I had to sign up to the job gateway. I did so but did not complete my profile 100% and complete job searches due to awaiting job recall. Once I was officially terminated I completed the job gateway and completed job searches. I was called in for an unemployment hearing and they kept asking why I had not completed the job gateway in 30 days I explained the same thing. Can they really not alot me unemployment benefits because of this? What can I do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time PA is an at will state
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Not basis to deny benefits. Need to be allowed to complete and collect. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. if needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
they cannot shut off my benefits because I did not complete the job gateway searches? I was at the interview this morning that they requested and the "referee" as they refer to them as, kept saying after I explained to him I was promised by my employer I would be recalled and than they informed me they would be terminating and said numerous times "thats fine and all but why didn't you complete it within 30 days", referring to the job gateway.
They should allow you to complete it based on these facts and turn it on.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purpose only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as it seems you have asked for a new expert.

Under PA law, all applicants for unemployment benefits must apply for the job gateway within 30 days of applying for benefits. There are no exceptions for your situation without some written contract from the employer I am afraid and your excuse is merely a mitigating reason for not registering for the gateway. The fact your employer was stringing you along regarding calling you back, unless you had something in writing telling you when you would be recalled, would not be an excuse for not registering for the gateway.

Thus, I disagree with the previous contributor that "Not basis to deny basis. Need to be allowed to complete and collect. They should allow you to complete it based on these facts and turn it on." The PA rules for unemployment state that if one is unemployed and files for benefits they must have registered for the gateway "within 30 days" of applying for benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Is there anything I could do, to curb the decision?

Thank you for your reply.

The only thing you could do to curb the decision is showing unemployment some document from the employer stating they would be rehiring you within 30 days of the layoff, which would mean you would not have to register for the gateway.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney