Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Can a company decide how you must work after agreeing to a

Can a company decide how long you must work after agreeing to a severance package (in lieu of relocation) but not inform employees of this date before they must make their decision?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CT
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our company just announced a relocation out of state; severance is available if one is not able to relocate.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I am trying to understand if it is standard fir a company to ffervsevefance but not provide the effective date until after the deadline has passed.

Because employment in CT is at will and severance is not mandated by law, the employer may set the terms of severance as they see fit. An employee may negotiate severance with the employer, of course, but the employer has the final determination on final severance. So, the employer can mandate how long the employee must work to receive severance, but the employer must also pay the employee their regular pay in addition to the severance for all hours worked.

A severance is valid until accepted by the employee or revoked by the employer. An employee must be given at least 21 days to decide if this is a regular layoff and 45 days to decide if this is an early retirement offer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great, thanks for this!

Thank you for your reply.