John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

How can an employer write you up for a policy you didn't

Customer Question

How can an employer write you up for a policy you didn't know existed?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana. -- I live in an employ at will state. They can fire me for taking a day off.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time - Union I teach
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Because you are in a union, the premise of just cause employment is relevant. Just cause employment means that the employer cannot discipline or discharge you unfairly. This comes in is if you had no idea the policy, then it would not be just cause to discipline you for a policy you did not know existed. Your remedy in such an instance would be to file a grievance with the union and follow it through through the mandatory dispute resolution process contained in the contract; up to and including arbitration of the matter.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.