Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter was being yelled at and treated rudely by her…

Customer Question
My daughter was being...

My daughter was being yelled at and treated rudely by her coworkers and boss in a small company she was at for about 2-3 months. She quit today. Should she report the situation to the WA state labor relations board, or take any other action?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure since I'm her father and can only report on what she told me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Based on the facts you gave there is no action she can take which will make a difference. Washington, like most other states, is what is known as an "employment at-will" state. This means that an employer is free to do as they choose unless their actions are based on race, age, gender, etc. The law in Washington provides absolutely no protections against an employee treated rudely or unprofessional in any way. So, any report she files will likely just be stuck in a cabinet somewhere and ignored. In addition, an employer can sanction or even terminate an employee for any reason (other than the ones discussed above), no reason, or a reason that is absolutely incorrect.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer