Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My husband who was 66 on 2/21/2017 got his social security

My husband who was 66 on 2/21/2017 got his social security in January of 2017. I am older, 69 years old and will be 70 on 6/24/2018, and I filed and suspended my benefits on 3/15/16 to build delayed retirement credits. Can I get spousal benefits or will this interfere with what I will get when I turn 70?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure what you mean but I have done nothing more and he gets his ss each month.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Congress changed the law on this recently. Spouses can no longer do both (collect spousal benefits AND suspend their own for growth). So you can not collect the spousal benefit while your benefit is suspended. See:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/claiming.html

Also see: The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-74; November 2, 2015).

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald