Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had completed work for a client of mine, I'm in the

I had completed work...

I had completed work for a client of mine, I'm in the security business and they have not paid for services and refuse to pay now. The total is around 25k

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not filed anything I have made numerous calls and they kept telling me they had a check and last minth said they cancelled the check and to do whatever I have to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i think I good

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Do you have a written contract regarding your relationship? And if so, does it provide for attorneys fees and costs should you take it to court?

I do have a written contract, including attorney fees and costs. The issue was I had a contract with a large church for a year and a property developer bought the church. They reached out to me and wanted to continue the same security services. I asked to met and go over a new contract and they never got back to me. They went though 6 managers and all of them kept telling me in emails, texts and voicemails to continue services but refused to meet. My question is would a verbal ok continuing the same scope of work hold up in court?

Yes, it would absolutely hold up in court. The main question is whether or not the written contract itself was "ratified". But in any case, you would have a case that you could pursue in court.

That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with breach of contract cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

However, you should first send a demand letter demanding payment within 30 days, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made a demand for the unpaid amount due under the contract.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you very much, I appreciate it!!

My pleasure .

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.