Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer has offered job back with back pay. However they…

Customer Question
My employer has offered...

My employer has offered job back with back pay. However they want to subtract earnings I had working part time after termination. Also I'm asking for damages to make me whole. They only want pay the loss wages. Can I get damages

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This Chicago, Illinois. TSA is the employer

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time non union. Not at will. I was a Supervisor

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

To answer this you must first understand the entire premise of the discrimination statutes is to make the discriminatee "whole" for the discrimination he or she has suffered. This would include back-pay and benefits, out of pocket costs, though the employer is correct that they do get an offset for what you've earned in the meantime. Further, compensatory costs may be awarded for things like mental anguish or harm because of the discrimination. Likewise, in the remedy may include placing the employee where he/she should have been placed in the company (which may occur in the case of not getting a promotion or raise because of discrimination . Lastly, the federal discrimination laws allow punitive damages against the employer in limited circumstances where the discrimination is found to be blatant. Generally in your case I would make an offer of 3X wage loss to cover for costs and punitive damages...not just lost wages...then perhaps you can settle for a decent number from that point.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer