Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I am 68, have worked for my company 26 years and was off

I am 68, have worked for my company 26 years and was laid off with a two weeks severance pay. Is it legal to lay off someone when they could just retire me?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Texas.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Non union, full time and I was on vacation last week so have not talked to anyone from the company
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am an electrician, I have not a clue what to ask.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The severance is not reasonable or consistent with standards. It also may be actionable as age discrimination and therefore illegal. Normally severance is 1-2 weeks per year of work, and higher where their motive is age based. You may want to have an employment lawyer contact them locally and negotiate a much higher package, leveraging a threat of potential litigation which should prompt a significant increase!

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable by replying "yes" or "acceptable"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

Very welcome.

Kindly rate me 5 stars on your screen.