Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been told by my employer that i cannot call out for…

Customer Question
I have been told...

I have been told by my employer that i cannot call out for any reason from now on, even if i am sick, i"ve been told that i would be terminated. i am a sisabled citizen of the united states. previously , i have always called in if i can" show. is it legal for them to tell me that i will be tminated if i call out again for any reason. i have had a stroke. but i still work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I work at the chas. int. airport, i am contracted as a floor tech.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that your employer has threatened you with termination.

South Carolina is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

There is currently no legal requirement in South Carolina to provide sick leave. However, the American's with Disabilities Act may protect you based on your illness. You can file a complaint with the Department of Justice for violation of the American's with Disabilities Act by clicking here.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.