TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My employer change my (and everybody's) status for our

Customer Question

my employer change my (and everybody's) status for our dividend payout without our knowledge. I just found out through TRowePrice that my dividend was re-invested. Is this legal?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in California my employer is based in Washington
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time non union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been receiving the dividend payouts regularly for several years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If you're referring to a situation in which the employer has granted stock options or an employer controlled 401k, and has changed the policy so that dividends must be reinvested, then that is lawful. The employer has the power to regulate whether dividends are paid out or reinvested. If the employee does not like the terms, then the employee can opt out of the program. Of course, one would expect the employer to inform the employees when there is a change; but if it does not, the change is still lawful.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.