Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was sexually harrassed in an email conversation that I had

Customer Question
with an employee. I...
I was sexually harrassed in an email conversation that I had with an employee. I brought it up to management and they choose to focus on the fact that I was in violation of the district's technology policy. Although they state that they'll conduct an investigation, I feel like I'm being punished.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. I am very sorry about your situation. It is again state and federal law for an employer to ignore claims of sexual harassment or discrimination made by one of their employees. It is also illegal for them to retaliate against an employee for engaging in some sort of protected action. In particular, California's Unruh Act and 42 USC Section 2000e-2 Specifically prohibit adverse actions against an employee by an employer. It is possible that you may have a case of discrimination or retaliation here against your employer. If you have a union representative, I would recommend speaking with them about this situation. On the other hand, I would probably think about hiring an employment attorney who may be able to help analyze your case a little bit more carefully on your behalf.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer