Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I reside in California. I'm currently on FMLA for stress

I reside in California....
I reside in California. I'm currently on FMLA for stress leave from primary employment. I have a second job that my doctor encouraged me to work due to it. Ring a positive working environment. Is that legal? I don't want my primary employer to be able to terminate me for working somewhere else while on FMLA, despite they created the stress. There is no policy by my employer that states I cannot. However, they did say that it is "expected" I will not be at my other place of employment due to my LOA.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union. Full-time. My other position is a per diem position.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm filing a Hostile Work Environment complaint
9/13/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Because you are on stress leave from a particular job, that doesn't mean you cannot work a secondary job with a particular serious medical condition that you have. In deed neither the FMLA or Cal equivalent have any prohibition to working a secondary job while on leave. The California Supreme Court has ruled that even if you an employee is on medical leave due to inability to perform the essential functions of his or her job, yet continues performance at a similar second job, this is not conclusive evidence that he or she does not suffer from a serious health condition and is capable of performing the duties specific to his or her job under the first employer. Terminating the employee without more information may lead to costly and time-consuming disputes involving factual questions that may ultimately have be decided by a jury...thus employers should be very hesitant to adopt a policy of no secondry job while on medical leave. So , to answer your question directly - there's no law that states you cannot work while on leave. However, you should first review the employers policy on secondary employment during medical leave.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
Thank you. To my understanding my employer has no policy on secondary employment during medical leave. I think it's uncommon. I due work for a government agency and do not think that makes a difference. If not, I am satisfied with my answer.
John, Employment Lawyer