Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a school district in Ca and my co worker is the…

Customer Question
Hi, I work for...

Hi, I work for a school district in Ca and my co worker is the daughter of the secretary of the super intendant. I suspect there is nepotism going on and her proximity to the super intendant appeared to increase her ability to create a hostile work environment for people including me even though we have he same position in the district and same seniority. I can not talk to my supervisor about the concerns as he also appear to worry about his job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Selma, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am a permanent classified management with no union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been dealing with this for over a year and only communicate with my supervisor and his advice to me is to learn to let go

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The term "hostile work environment" in CA and US law has a very specific meaning and the US Supreme Court has stated that the laws on hostile work environment/workplace harassment were enacted to protect employees from conduct based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998).

As far as nepotism, it is not generally illegal or unlawful and any such rules against it would be based on your city's laws. Selma it seems has no policy or law about nepotism to rely upon either I am afraid.

So, I am not sure what your actual questions are for us about this, since you did not ask any real questions, but your supervisor's advice to you based on the existing laws where you work may not be the worst course of action for you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.