Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from my job last Thursday and Sunday would have…

Customer Question
I was fired from...

I was fired from my job last Thursday and Sunday would have made it 10 years since I had been there. I was curious if I can sue for a severence

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Williamsburg Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

There was no employment agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, for a long time, I was strongly encouraged to attend their sales training with the L, Ron Hubbard Scientology in Florida, and I wouldn't go based on religious purposes.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that your employment was terminated. Losing your job is never easy.

Unfortunately, Virginia is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Accordingly, severance pay is also not a requirement under the law. The only way an employee would be entitled to severance pay, is if the employee had an agreement to that effect with the employer.

However, you may have a claim for discrimination, based on the scientology issue that you raised. There are two options for filing a discrimination complaint:

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.