Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im a 66 year old patent paralegal in a amall firm (6

Customer Question
Im a 66 year...

Im a 66 year old patent paralegal in a amall firm (6 fulltime employees). we are all full time salaried, but the orher two women (late 30's and 40) only come in the office 2 days a week --and are home with young children the other days, clearly not working (but answwring an occasional email). i am in the office 3 days a week, very busy and billing my rime, and work from home 2 days a week, working at my desk, available, and doing billable work. i feel i am bei g taken advantage of, and i have a lot of pressure to perform work, while the younger ones are falling behind in filing, and dont have pressure to complete work in a time-sensitive schedule. Is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maasachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Hmmm... we are all "full time/ salaried"

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, it's not illegal for an employer to hold employees to different standards or to place unequal burdens on their employees. In general, very few laws regulate how an employer can manage its business. You would need to prove that you are being treated differently because of a legally protected trait such as your race or religion in order to have a claim. Here, it seems you are being treated different due to the family situations of the other employees. While it's unfair to force you to work more because of that, it does not violate any law. All you can do, unfortunately, is attempt to reason with your employer or look for alternative employment where the demands placed upon you are more reasonable. I am very sorry.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.