Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a janitorial company and I'm contracted with a school…

I have a janitorial...

I have a janitorial company and I'm contracted with a school system. I've been with the same school system for 16 years. 2 years ago a new principle came in and they started to require that all of our employees are FBI printed. We complied without hesitation. But we are now running into issues getting people hired. We do our own background checks and the school policy has always been no felonies. The priniciple is denying people with simple misdemeanors. The school will not give us a reason why we can't hire people they deny. I have asked for their criteria and they won't give me a straight answer. I am now short staffed 3 people. The principle has stated he wanted to go in house for janitorial and it seems as though we are being sabotaged so we don't have employees to clean the buildings. Here's my question: If I have the potential employee sign a release form for my business, does the school have to give me a copy of their background check they recieved?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MIchigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's a 5 year contract

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...what, if anything, does your contract say about this?

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Our contract states we do background checks already. It doesn't state anything about them requiring it.
Phone call session started