Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A previous employer direct deposited a check after my

A previous employer direct...

A previous employer direct deposited a check after my resignation date and once my salary was up, and now they want me to pay back the 650.00 they paid me. They said it was system and human error, and realized the problem 2.5 weeks after the initial deposit. Am I obligated to pay it back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MI

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have some documents they sent me

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Yes, you do have to pay the money back. It would be no different than a business accidentally sending you an additional product and requesting that you return it.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Okay, thank you! This was very helpful!

You're very welcome.
Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.