Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer is trying to deduct my wages for a bus ticket…

My employer is trying...

My employer is trying to deduct my wages for a bus ticket home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The employer explained that after two weeks of work that I would be home but the route home wasn't assured

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I started part time then accepted to go full time under those conditions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's the main points but I also have messages of being attacked for quitting, so I was told since I quit that the ticket will be taken out of my pay

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Unless you agreed in writing ahead of time, your employer may NOT deduct expenses or any other claims form your wages. All the law permits, without your prior agreement is the standard payroll deductions.

You can sue them or file a wage claim if the make unauthorized deductions from your paycheck. You can also report them to the Dept of Labor.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.