How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got terminated from my job and my former employer is

Customer Question

I just got terminated from my job and my former employer is keeping all my personal belongings, including plants pictures, etc. Most importantly, they have my hard drive which has documents I created for work and information that I was building a case against them for retaliation. What can I do? Do I have rights in North Carolina?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I don't recall seeing documents that they can hold onto personal belongings for 3 or 4 days. They said they are going through my personal hard drive for proprietery information.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was full time. Worked there 18 years. I I Went to the EEOC last December. This is retaliation. I can prove I was being held to different standards than co=workers. This information is on my hard drive they now have and refuse to give back to me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

No basis for employer to do so. Practically, you may want to see if the police can help and pay employer a visit to recover your property. You can also sue in small claims court, as well as have a lawyer send a letter seeking possession and additional damages.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

In suing the company, you also can subpoena for such records and information which would need to be turned over!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I have an attorney send me a letter today to give to my employer to hand over my personal belonging? They said they are looking through my personal hard drive.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Yes, and can find local counsel to do so through and

Lawyer would send a non spoliation letter which demands property be kept in anticipation of litigation.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

I am set up for chat only and replied in chat. Kindly let me know if the replies are acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's do it. I have proof that I was wrongfully terminated, but it's on the hard drive that my company refuses to let me have.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

We cannot represent customers per site rules, but you can find a local employment lawyer to handle it using the 2 directories I mentioned.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 29 days ago.

awaiting your reply, thank you.