Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I just got terminated from my job and my former employer is

Customer Question

I just got terminated from my job and my former employer is keeping all my personal belongings, including plants pictures, etc. Most importantly, they have my hard drive which has documents I created for work and information that I was building a case against them for retaliation. What can I do? Do I have rights in North Carolina?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I don't recall seeing documents that they can hold onto personal belongings for 3 or 4 days. They said they are going through my personal hard drive for proprietery information.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was full time. Worked there 18 years. I I Went to the EEOC last December. This is retaliation. I can prove I was being held to different standards than co=workers. This information is on my hard drive they now have and refuse to give back to me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

No basis for employer to do so. Practically, you may want to see if the police can help and pay employer a visit to recover your property. You can also sue in small claims court, as well as have a lawyer send a letter seeking possession and additional damages.

In suing the company, you also can subpoena for such records and information which would need to be turned over!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I have an attorney send me a letter today to give to my employer to hand over my personal belonging? They said they are looking through my personal hard drive.

Yes, and can find local counsel to do so through avvo.com and findlaw.com

Lawyer would send a non spoliation letter which demands property be kept in anticipation of litigation.

I am set up for chat only and replied in chat. Kindly let me know if the replies are acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's do it. I have proof that I was wrongfully terminated, but it's on the hard drive that my company refuses to let me have.

We cannot represent customers per site rules, but you can find a local employment lawyer to handle it using the 2 directories I mentioned.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 29 days ago.

awaiting your reply, thank you.